.......more importantly the fabulous bounty of this year's harvest has arrived at Cicada....pumpkin, squash, apples, blackberries, wild mushrooms, truffles, chestnuts & much more...why not give this recipe a try? It makes a wonderful Autumn warmer & even better still you can buy all the ingredients you need from us.....serve with some chunky wholemeal bread & Cornish butter...fabulous!
Creamy Pumpkin Soup......
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1kg pumpkins or squash (try kabocha), peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 700ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 142ml pot double cream
- 4 slices wholemeal seeded bread
- handful pumpkin seed from a packet
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook 2 finely chopped onions for 5 mins, until soft but not coloured. Add 1kg peeled, deseeded and chopped pumpkin or squash to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
- Pour 700ml vegetable stock into the pan, then season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until the squash is very soft. Pour the 142ml pot of double cream into the pan, bring back to the boil, then purée with a hand blender. For an extra-velvety consistency you can now push the soup through a fine sieve into another pan. The soup can now be frozen for up to 2 months.
- While the soup is cooking, slice the crusts from 4 slices of wholemeal seed bread, then cut the bread into small croutons. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the bread until it starts to become crisp. Add a handful of pumpkin seeds to the pan, then cook for a few mins more until they are toasted. These can be made a day ahead and stored in an airtight container. Reheat the soup if needed, taste for seasoning, then serve scattered with croutons and seeds and drizzled with more olive oil, if you want!